Pokémon taxonomy is a controversial subject, with many people using different classifications.
Subspecies or species?Edit
When Pokémon evolve, they change shape, size, colour, etc. However, many may resemble the previous evolution in some ways.
For example, these are not considered separate species:
- Archen, Archeops
- Blitzle, Zebstrika
- Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur
- Castform's forms
- Cherrim's forms
- Furfrou's "cuts"
- Deoxys' forms
- Nidoran♀, Nidorina, Nidoqueen/Nidoran♂, Nidorino, Nidoking
- Deerling and Sawsbuck's seasonal changes
- Darmanitan's standard and zen modes
- Aegislash's blade and shield forms
- Xerneas' active and neutral modes
These, however, may be considered subspecies, as they have different methods of changing forms:
- Arceus' forms
- Rotom's forms
- Giratina's forms
- Shaymin's forms
- Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus' incarnate and therian forms
- Kyurem's form changes
- Keldeo's resolute and ordinary forms
- Meloetta's pirouette and aria forms
However, this still remains controversial and needs more studying.
These are considered subspecies, because they have different colours (or sizes):